11 lessons about life I learned in 11 years
Wow! Can you believe it? 11 years have now passed since I took the plunge to go into business for myself. 11 years since I traded in wingtip shoes for Reebok nanos, and Banana Republic slacks for sweatpants and a hoodie. I learned so many amazing lessons about life, relationships, and I learned even more about myself.
Here are 11 of the biggest life lessons I learned in the last 11 years as owner of CrossFit South Cobb:
1. You’re smarter and better than you think you are. Stop being down on yourself, it’s not attractive.
2. No one is up late at night plotting to get you. Everyone has their own problems. You are your own biggest competitor!
3. Happy people are the best people. Both from a staff/customer standpoint and a personal one. Find happy people and keep them in your crew. FYI, it’s not your responsibility to make someone else happy…
4. Don’t let society push you into a personality box. You are malleable and adaptable. Do what you love. Don’t plan your whole life based on some personality test you took 15 years ago.
5. Support is everything. It can come from your partner/spouse, and also from a friend or mentor. Bottom line: find support and latch on to it, even if you have to pay for it.
6. Life and its experiences can happen either TO you or FOR you. It is your choice…choose the latter. Use adversity as a springboard. Here’s how I did it: (SUCCEEDING AGAINST THE ODDS)
7. Our bodies are a temple and a miracle. Take care of your body or you’ll spend years living in regret that you didn’t.
8. Serve your ass off. Life is meant to be best experienced when we give. Donate time, talent, and resources to people who can’t pay you back. There is no better reward.
9. Live a life that your future self will appreciate. Give yourself great memories. You’ll always have them, unlike money.
10. Go for it. Your potential endeavor is either gonna BLOW up ? , or it’s gonna blow UP ?! Might as well have some fun in the process.
11. LOVE – Let love be your motivator for whatever you’re doing in life. Otherwise, you’re just doing something for recognition or money. Neither of those will last long term, and you’ll hate the person you become.
That’s the magic word in all of this: LOVE. Love shows up everyday ready to serve others. Love builds lifetime relationships. Love also encourages and never tears down.
Did I ever think I’d be owning a gym when I left college? Heck no! Why did I stick around so long? I fell in love with WHO I was becoming as a person. I also understood my life would be a dead end if I only focused on WHAT I could acquire and achieve.
Who are you becoming? Is it the person you thought you’d be? It’s not too late to kindle that love living down inside of you. What are you passionate about that comes easy to you, and serves others? Find it and do it! You’ll be surprised at what happens next.
Until next time!
CrossFit South Cobb